November 15, 2007 Meeting Minutes

Greater Gladstone Civic Association (GGCA) Meeting Minutes

Date: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 7:00 PM

Location: Library, The Garden Church

Attendance: 11

MEETING NOTES

Welcome and Introduction by the Secretary (Melissa Englund)

Review of October’s Meeting’s by the Secretary

Copies of the October 18, 2007 meeting were distributed.

The minutes were approved.

Treasurer’s Update (Kathy Kauffman)

Copies of the previous month’s checking account activity were distributed.

The checking account contains $1,438.94.

To date just over 10% of homes in the Manor have contributed to the membership drive.

Disbursements were made during the past month to reimburse Kathy Kauffman ($68.63) for the promotional refrigerator magnets and to make a small donation to the Garden Church ($30.00) for use of their library as meeting space during October and November.

A discussion was held on committees submitting budgets for 2008. It was suggested existing committees meet in the new year to create proposed budgets for submission and approval.

Business Update

Update on vice-president positions: None of the six write-in candidates chose to accept either of the positions. A discussion will be held at the January meeting (when President Hanne Weedon is present) to decide how to proceed with filling these positions or re-allocating their responsibilities.

Information on the suggested addition of an indemnification clause to the bylaws: Melissa Englund discussed the matter with Tom Hiscott who explained that an indemnification clause only protects directors and officers if the organization either has an insurance policy or assets to back up the indemnification. As the association has neither, an indemnification clause is not necessary.

Future meeting schedule:

Meetings in 2008 will be held on the fourth Thursday of the month at the Lansdowne Borough Hall. Dates for the first six months are as follows:

January 24; February 28; March 27; April 24; May 22; and June 26 (should a June meeting be held.) Dates for November and December 2008 must be discussed due to potential conflicts with holidays.

(The December 2007 events flyer will include information on 2008 meetings.)

Events Update

Tree Lighting:

The tree lighting is scheduled for Saturday, December 8, 2007 at 4:00 PM. (Rain date is Sunday, December 9, 2007 at the same time.)

PECO electricity turn-on: Kathy Kauffman contacted PECO. The power will be turned on November 26, 2007. No one need be present, but the breaker must be in the “off” position prior to this. Bob Bartmann will make sure that is the case.

Electrician: Bob Bartmann received literature from the manufacturer of the timer. The electrician reviewed it and believes he has enough information from which to work to repair the timer.

String lights: Bob Bartmann and Dawn Haussler will test the tree lights.

Refreshments: Hot chocolate and cider will be served. Donations will be solicited for food.

Santa: Michelle Hiscott’s brother, John Schuld, will portray Santa.

December Events Promotion:

Flyer: Distributed the first weekend in December

(Michelle Hiscott will write. Kathy Kauffman will copy. Kathy needs the completed flyer by Tuesday, November 27.)

Posters: train station, Marlyn Park, the island

(Michelle Hiscott will create the first two; Melissa Englund the third.)

News of Delaware County: Michelle Hiscott will submit

Lansdowne borough e-newsletter: Michelle Hiscott will submit

Mansfield Brass Quintet:

The group will carol on Saturday, December 22 from 6:00 to 8:00 PM.

Santa Letters:

The mailbox will be put on the island on December 8. Volunteers are needed to help move the box. Melissa Englund provided form letters. Michelle Hiscott will send.

Luminaries:

Tom Hiscott has volunteered to bring the luminaries back this year. They will be sold six bags for $5.00. All orders must be pre-paid by cash or check with an order deadline of Wednesday, December 19 and a pick-up date of December 23.

Historic Preservation—Meeting Update (Bob Bartmann)

Bob Bartmann submitted a follow-up letter following the borough meeting.

Beautification Update (Bob Bartmann)

50 daffodils were planted on the island and 60 tulips were planted at the train station. The bulbs were leftover from landscaping work at the Lansdowne Dunkin Donuts.

Bob Bartmann ordered mulch for the base of the Christmas tree.

OUTSTANDING ITEMS/UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Open vice-president positions.

Budgeting for 2008 committee work.

Changing the borders of Gladstone Manor.

ITEMS TO BE ADDED TO FUTURE NEWSLETTERS

DECEMBER 2007 Events Flyer:

Tree lighting

Mansfield Brass Quintet

Santa Letters

Luminaries

Dates for 2008 meetings

ITEMS TO BE ADDED TO FUTURE MEETING AGENDAS

JANUARY 2008:

Open vice-president positions

Christmas 2007

Budgeting for 2008 committee work

ITEMS ARISING SINCE LAST MEETING

n/a

CHANGES/UPDATES TO PREVIOUS MINUTES

n/a

October 18, 2007 Meeting Minutes

Greater Gladstone Civic Association (GGCA) Meeting Minutes

Date: Thursday, October 18, 7:00 PM • Location: Library, The Garden Church

Attendance: 12

MEETING NOTES

Welcome and Introduction by the President (Hanne Weedon)

Review of Meeting’s Agenda by the President

Election of Officers

President – Hanne Weedon – 15 votes

Secretary – Melissa Englund – 14 votes

Treasurer – Kathy Kauffman – 14 votes

Vice President – write in candidates

Dawn Haussler – 2

Carol Baxter Eicker – 1

Cathy Golato – 3

Julia Hartnett – 2

Michelle Hiscott – 1

Betty Bartmann – 1

It was agreed that Hanne would speak to the write-in candidates to learn if they had interest in serving

Bylaws discussion

A discussion of the bylaws surrounded three issues: the addition of an indemnification clause, meeting format, and financial decisions between meetings.

After discussion it became clear that the requirements and implementation of an indemnification clause were not understood.  Melissa will discuss the use of an indemnification clause to the bylaws with Tom Hiscott and bring information back to the next meeting.

After much discussion it was agreed Hanne would learn more about Robert’s Rules of Order to determine any aspects that could be incorporated into the meeting, but there was a preference to keep the informal feel of the meetings given the small group.  All important topics will be discussed and then voted upon.

Finally the group discussed how to handle financial decisions that must be made between meetings, for example paying the electric bill or an increase in a quoted price.  It was agreed that officers can make decisions up to $100 between meetings.  The decisions will be shared and recorded and the next meeting and receipts will be retained by the Treasurer.

Treasurer’s Update (Kathy Kauffman, distributed by Melissa Englund)

The checking account contains $416.74.  There were no donations since the September meeting.  Withdrawals of $89.28 have been made to reimburse Bob Bartmann for salvia and weed killer used at the island.

Minutes of September 20, 2007 meeting were distributed

Dues/Membership Update

The membership drive is scheduled to be held beginning October 20 and ending on November 2.

Volunteers will gather at 8am on October 20 at Regency Café to assemble materials for packets to be distributed to the block captains.  These materials will include instructions, membership forms, return envelopes, Halloween event flyers, and Greater Gladstone Civic Association magnets.

Events Update

Halloween – A fall celebration and Halloween parade is planned for Saturday, October 27.  Sunday, October 28 is being held as a rain date.

Volunteers will be needed to help set up at the island and staff candy distribution sites along the parade route.  Refreshments will be served at the island prior to the start of the parade.  The parade route is being distributed along with the membership drive information

Tree lighting – It was decided to continue to use the current lights and wait for the price of LED lights to drop before making the change.  Although this will result in higher electric costs, the LED light costs are prohibitively expensive at this time.  To reduce electric costs, Bob Bartmann wrote to the manufacturer of the current timer to obtain directions.  We will use those directions and a limited amount of time from an electrician to attempt to have the timer function correctly.  Additionally we will reduce the number of weeks for the tree to be illuminated.  Electricity will be turned on November 26 to allow for 2 weeks of testing prior to tree lighting on Saturday, December 8.  The tree will be turned off after January 6.

Michelle Hiscott is contacting the Mansfield Brass to determine availability for playing the night of the tree lighting.  The events committee is also looking for a volunteer to play Santa Claus and volunteers to answer letters left in the mailbox.

Beautification Update

The island has been moved under the budget of the parks and recreation department.  The Borough is considering allocating $7000 for maintenance and upgrades of Gladstone area sites.  FYI – The Island is not a designated park so a permit is not needed for an event to be held at the location

Communications Update

An email discussion will be held to determine meeting times following the scheduled Thursday, November 15 meeting.  That meeting will be held at the Garden Church.

General Business Update

The entire group discussed priority projects for the 2007-08 year.  These projects are Events – Halloween, Tree Lighting, and 4th of July and Beautification.  Other priorities may be set later in the year depending on budget and interest of the group.

An update with information related to the historic preservation and historic designation meetings at the borough level will be added to future meetings as a regular agenda item.

OUTSTANDING ITEMS/UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Budgeting for 2008 committee work.

Changing the borders of Gladstone Manor.

ITEMS TO BE ADDED TO FUTURE NEWSLETTERS

NOVEMBER 2007:

Tree lighting

Election results

Membership drive results

Historic Preservation meetings

Community Resource listings

ITEMS TO BE ADDED TO FUTURE MEETING AGENDAS

NOVEMBER 2007:

Future meeting schedule

Historic Preservation

Tree Lighting

By-Laws: creating a chain of responsibilities from President to Secretary

ITEMS ARISING SINCE LAST MEETING

n/a

CHANGES/UPDATES TO PREVIOUS MINUTES

n/a

September 20, 2007 Meeting Minutes

Greater Gladstone Civic Association (GGCA) Meeting Minutes

Date: Thursday, September 20, 7:00 PM • Location: 20th Century Club

Attendance: 11

MEETING NOTES

Welcome and Introduction by the President (Hanne Weedon)

Review of Meeting’s Agenda by the President (Hanne Weedon)

Minutes of June 21, 2007 meeting we reviewed and approved

Treasurer’s Update (Kathy Kauffman)

The checking account contains $505.16.  Donations and raffle proceeds in the amount of $230.00 were deposited since the June meeting.  Withdrawals of $56.71 have been made to pay for items related to the July 4th event.

Dues/Membership Update

The membership drive is scheduled to be held beginning October 19 and ending on November 2.

Block captains will be invited to training sessions in mid-October.  Packets will be provided to each block captain including instructions, membership forms, and return envelopes.

It was agreed that magnets for the GGCA should be purchased at an expected cost of $55 plus shipping for 500.  Magnets will be distributed during the membership drive and will include the Association name, founding date, and email address.

Election Update

By unanimous vote the bylaws were amended to permanently move the elections to October.

Also by unanimous vote the bylaws were amended to divide the office of Vice President into two positions: one for membership and fundraising, the other for block captains.

Elections are scheduled for Thursday, October 18.  Nominations will be solicited until October 8.

Events Update

The July 4th event was a success.  A summary of the events of the day were included in the September newsletter.

A Halloween parade is planned for Saturday, October 27 at 1pm.  Sunday, October 28 is being held as a rain date.

Volunteers will be needed to help set up at the island and staff candy distribution sites along the parade route.  Refreshments will be served at the island prior to the start of the parade.  The parade route is currently being developed.

The committee will submit an announcement for inclusion in the October newsletter.

Initial plans are being developed for the traditional December tree lighting and expected budget needs will be presented at the October meeting for discussion.

Beautification Update

A number of volunteers assisted with planting, watering and weeding during the 2007 season.  Neighbors near the train have been expanding the plantings in that area as well.

Communications Update

The October newsletter will be distributed the 2nd week in October.

This newsletter will feature 3 items: Halloween parade, elections, and the membership drive.

Election information will include short biographies for the candidates and an absentee ballot to be used by anyone who cannot attend the October 18 election meeting.

General Business Update

The entire group discussed how to handle requests for reimbursement of expenses that were not approved by the group in advance.  Expenses for beautification including additional plantings (some approved) and weed killer total approximately $225.  Only $75 was approved in advance.

Although the group would like to reimburse for expenses, careful consideration needs to be made based on the projects we agreed to support and the available amount of funds.

At the October meeting, budgets for upcoming projects including the Halloween parade, tree lighting, and future beautification will be presented so that a final decision can be reached.

Following a vote, it was approved that future expenses must be approved in advance and receipts provided to the Treasurer for reimbursement.  Unapproved expenses may not be reimbursed.

OUTSTANDING ITEMS/UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Budgeting for 2008 committee work.

Changing the borders of Gladstone Manor.

ITEMS TO BE ADDED TO FUTURE NEWSLETTERS

OCTOBER 2007:

Halloween parade

Ballot for election of officers

October membership drive

NOVEMBER 2007:

Tree lighting

Election results

Membership drive results

ITEMS TO BE ADDED TO FUTURE MEETING AGENDAS

OCTOBER 2007:

Election of officers

Membership Drive

Committee Budgets

ITEMS ARISING SINCE LAST MEETING

n/a

CHANGES/UPDATES TO PREVIOUS MINUTES

n/a