November 18, 2010 Meeting Minutes

Greater Gladstone Civic Association (GGCA) Meeting Minutes

 

Date: Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:00 PM

Location: Lansdowne Borough Hall

 

Attendance: 9

 

MEETING NOTES

Welcome by the President (Melissa Englund)

 

Review of Minutes by the Secretary (Michelle Hiscott)

Copies of the October 28, 2010 meeting minutes were distributed.

The minutes were approved as amended.

 

Review of Finances (Kathy Kauffman)

Copies of the previous month’s checking account activity were distributed.

The checking account contains $2,630.34. The treasurer’s update was approved.

 

Business Updates and Reports

 

Website and domain name (Melissa Englund, Leo Nelson)

 

* The domain name (gladstonemanor.org) expires January 17, 2011.

* Leo Nelson contacted Chris Miller for information on the website. As of the evening’s meeting, Chris Miller had yet to reply. Michelle Hiscott will give copies of the papers given to Chris Miller (containing passwords and additional information related to the website) to Leo Nelson.

* Michelle Hiscott will renew the domain name.

* Leo Nelson will review the current Network Solutions package, consider service options, and email GGCA officers his research.

* A decision on internet server options will be made in January.

 

Fall membership drive (Kathy Kauffman)

 

* Responses have begun to be received from the 2010 membership drive.

 

 

Upcoming Events

 

Block captain thank you event (Gail Phillips)

 

* Gail and Steve Phillips will host a block captain thank you party at their home on Saturday, November 20, 2010. To date, five block captains and three GGCA officers plan to attend.

* Gail Phillips also noted that Marlyn now has a block captain.)

 

December events/activities (Melissa Englund)

 

* Tree Lighting

o New lights, new tree top snowflake (Bob Bartmann)

Bob Bartmann presented a one-page report on the purchase of new lights for the Gladstone Holiday Tree. In summary, all lights are now LED. There will be a new snowflake on the top of the tree. More lights were needed than in the past due to the brightness factor of LED lights. The cost for all new lights was under $500.

o Electricity turn-on/turn-off (Kathy Kauffman)

The electricity has been turned on at the Island. The tentative shut off date for the electricity will be January 31, 2011, but this will be revisited at the January 2011 GGCA meeting.

o Installing lights (Bob Bartmann)

The lights will be installed with the assistance of the Lansdowne Fire Company next week.

o Santa’s arrival (Melissa Englund)

Bob Bartmann will play Santa Claus.

o Refreshments (Michelle Hiscott)

o Glow bracelets (Melissa Englund)

o Lighting the tree (Melissa Englund)

Dawn Haussler will turn on the lights.

o Event set-up/clean-up (Melissa Englund)

Event set-up will begin at 4:00 PM. Volunteers for set-up to date include Melissa Englund, Julia Hartnett, Michelle Hiscott, and Betty Bartmann.

o Santa’s mailbox (Melissa Englund)

o Kathy Kauffman will invite Nick Micozzie. Melissa Englund will invite Mayor Jayne Young and the Lansdowne Borough Council.

o The timeline for the lighting will be as follows: 4:30: start; 4:45: Santa arrives; 5:00 lighting.

* Luminaries (Michelle Hiscott)

* Mansfield Brass and Caroling (Michelle Hiscott)

 

Next Meeting: Thursday, January 27, 2011

 

September 23, 2010 Meeting Minutes

Greater Gladstone Civic Association (GGCA) Meeting Minutes

 

Date: Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:00 PM

Location: Lansdowne Borough Hall

 

Attendance: 8

 

MEETING NOTES

Welcome by the President (Melissa Englund)

 

Review of Minutes by the Secretary

Copies of the June 24, 2010 meeting minutes were distributed.

The minutes were approved.

 

Review of Finances

Copies of the previous month’s checking account activity were distributed.

The checking account contains $2,835,12. The treasurer’s update was approved.

 

Business Updates and Reports

 

Fall Festival

Our second Fall Festival will be held Saturday, October 3rd on the Island. The Events Committee described the planned craft activities (including pumpkin painting, foam jewelry making, tissue paper fall trees, and an environmental craft) as well as snacks to be served (including cupcakes decorated like apples, brownies, pumpkin bars, cider, and coffee).

 

Park Benches

The park benches were approved by Borough Council and returned to the Island. The Borough has removed the Giant logo. Dawn Haussler is working on a solution to install plaques.

 

Island Improvements

The GGCA has been informed that Borough Council approved the plans for improvements to the Island. We anticipate a decision in October on whether funding is approved. Funding would be through a grant to the Borough.

 

Street Lamps

Discussions were held between the GGCA and Borough over the summer concerning the Borough’s plans to replace the lampposts throughout the Manor. It is as yet undetermined whether the replacements will be of the “lantern” or “acorn” style. Craig Totaro, Borough Manager, indicated that he will schedule a public meeting. Gladstone residents have also asked whether the current lampposts can be retrofitted for LED lights.

 

Lighting Study

Bob Bartmann reported that he has not received a response from the Borough on the lighting study he conducted in which he concluded that lighting in Greater Gladstone is inadequate.

 

June Newsletter

In the newsletter, the GGCA requested help with various projects. One neighbor responded that she would help with applying for 501c(3) designation. Kathy Kauffman reported that Tom Hiscott has

reviewed the GGCA articles of incorporation, but is still evaluating whether the bylaws need to be updated for 501c(3). She also noted that 501c(3) designation is a requirement for specific grants that could be used for the Island.

 

Website

A notice will be included in the upcoming newsletter that we are still looking for help with the website

 

Fall Membership Drive

Gail Phillips has updated the document. Needed are copies, envelopes, and paper clips. These were assigned at the meeting.

 

Block Captains Celebration

This event has been budgeted, and Steve Phillips is looking at a Sunday afternoon to hold the celebration.

 

Speakers for Upcoming Meetings

The decision was made to contact Codes again as the presentation had to be cancelled in the spring/summer. Bob Bartmann submitted a list of suggestions for presentations last year, and agrees to be a speaker at an upcoming meeting (topic TBD). Kathy Kauffman suggested Matt Schultz as a potential speaker. Steve Phillips suggested Larry Smalley, who is a local artist featuring paintings of Lansdowne.

 

New Template for Newsletter

Steve Phillips converted the existing paper template to a MS Word document

 

Newsletter Topics

Suggestions included Bob Bartmann’s history archives (he has the document), a scan of old handwritten meeting minutes from the library, and a recognition of the 5 Madison neighbors who have planted a total of 9 shade trees.

 

Beautification Committee

Additional gardeners are needed.

Next Meeting – 10/28/2010

 

In Need of Some Help

If you’re interested in some short term volunteering, we could really use your help and expertise with the following:

  • Non-profit Preparation/ Filing: Assist in preparation and filing of 501(c)(3) application and grant request materials. These things have been overwhelming us, but there must be someone out there who finds them a walk in the park.
  • Website Updates: We seem to be  a bit stalled with our site and could use some creative folks to give us a jump start and help write some text.
  • Membership Drive: There never seem to be enough bodies for this. Again, we could use some creative types to help us with the packaging.
  • Increase our inventory: We’d like to have a stash of items and articles to draw from for use in future newsletters. Here again, we’ve got the need for some creative minds, or just folks with good memories of times gone by, or perhaps some younger minds interested in making new memories or just giving their two cents.
  • Gratitude: We want to show our appreciation of our block captains with a thank-you event in the fall and could use some input in preparation of that.